Sunday, October 15, 2006

Biscuits and A Challenge

Since I was alone all this weekend, I learned even more about myself that most of you probably already know. If left to my own devices, I will stay in my pajamas all day and only put on clothes because I'm cold or to go out for two slices of pizza. I will also watch crazy amounts of CSI, L&O, and the History Channel. Here's the new part: I will also bake experimentally.

Baking serves to really take my mind off things; because I don't do it too often, I have to really concentrate on it. First, I made some Chocolate Midnight cookies out of the most recent Bon Appetit magazine. They're good but super dark chocolatey. Tolerable if rolled in powdered sugar.

Friday I also made this delicious Spinach and Sausage soup with other veggies and tomatoes. I forget where I got that recipe, but it's yummy and would also be good with potatoes. Saturday I managed not to cook anything but did get some Nutter Butter cookies (not the delectable wafers) for Sarah's late night visit on Saturday evening. She was nice enough to come over after I called to be pitiful in my lonliness.

This morning, however, was my crowning glory. I made biscuits! Not the drop kind that my daddy calls "cathead" biscuits, but the real I'm-gonna-roll-these-out-n-cut-'em-buttermilk biscuits. They turned out so well and I'm trying not to eat them all. I also managed to do some reading, tutoring, and grading papers in the meantime, so I suppose I've had a fairly productive weekend though I still haven't managed to put away the clean laundry that's in my room. At least my roommate will have plenty of baked goods to come home to when he returns from South Carolina tonight.

Wednesday, I'm flying out to Tulsa for a conference but will only be there till Friday. I fully expect to be shot down at my seminar because I'm presenting a paper in a group of 6 which means that there will be plenty of time to rip my paper apart. Hopefully, these much more established members of academia will take pity and not be too harsh. Then it's back here for Brandon and Laura's birthday party on Saturday. It's a tapas party and we're having it at our apartment. What's going on for Halloween everybody?

A Challenge For Kate, Dominic, and Dale: Have some Pimm's No.1 and tell me what it tastes like. There will be a clue posted later.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Pimm's No. 1, eh? You're ON!

I'm supposed to writing a paper write now.

Dale said...

Try it how? Straight up, on the rocks, in a Pimm's Cup?
From Kate's grammar, I'd say she's already been in the sauce.

Anonymous said...

Here's how you fix Pimm's: Fill the glass 1/3 full; add lots of ice, a slice of orange and a slice of cucumber (yes, cucumber!), and then fill with French lemonade, which comes in bottles with those old-fashioned rubber stoppers. Even if your bottle of Pimm's says to add 7-up, DON'T!! Find French (carbonated) lemonade. I first had this in Africa in 1966, and it is truly great! (Dale's mom)

Brooke said...

Thanks for the recipe. I love French lemonade anyway.

Anonymous said...

Where's the clue? I'm dying to know what you think it tastes like! And you could send me your biscuit recipe -- you made me hungry for biscuits now that it's getting cold here.