Friday, May 05, 2006

My Second Spring (then I get nostalgic)

I'm really enjoying the change of seasons in New Jersey. It's something that didn't happen in Alabama; we'd have cool weather, two weeks of temperate weather, then about six months of can't-breathe-cause-it's-so-hot weather. So this is only my second spring ever, and the feeling of hope and promise that comes with the world getting green again is really something--how I know what all the literary fuss (poems and whatnot) has been about. I was just living in a climate zone that inhibited my understanding of these weather changes and of various other social and cultural issues that are too numerous to mention.

BRUCE....just bought tickets to see Bruce Springsteen in his homestate of New Jersey and I'm totally excited about it. Actually my day has been pretty good. I babysat the twins this morning until about 2:00. I was given a child-crafted small clay pot (made by Hannah who, incidentally, is a palindrome) and had a lovely picnic with Sophia and Elias that included pb&strawberry jelly sandwiches, mac and cheese, apples and Amelia Bedelia books. Then I returned to my apartment for some topless roof tanning where I was extremely paranoid of being found out until I passed out for about thirty minutes. The older I get, the better I am at naps. But I guess in the grand scheme of things, that works.

These days, I'm just looking forward to moving and shopping for new stuff. Oh, you people know how I love the latter activity. I'll be buying a kitchen table and chairs and maybe a new bed. And maybe a chest of drawers. I'm so ready to have a clean house that I like to live in which has not been the case for at least the past two years. Probably three. I liked living by myself in that little apartment in Troy. Very good memories there.

Tonight I'll probably watch a movie and reminisce about our Troy Cinco de Mayo party two years ago. Yeah, two years ago. We were right, our lives have changed totally since then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Different for sure! I liked living alone in your old apartment too Brooke. Of course, there are those who'd say that never happened...