Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Ahhh, Snow in April

The weatherperson on Yahoo lied to me today in saying that we were gonna get morning showers. Well, that was with me assuming showers meant rain, but maybe that's Yankee code for April SNOW! On the way to work this morning, I saw flurrying rain drops that I then presumed to be snow, and within 30 minutes, big, fat, wet snowflakes were falling. But surely they wouldn't stick right...with all the moisture in the air and what not. Wrong. Soon everything had an inch or so of snow on it. Just feels weird to have snow after a few nice days, and it's not even that cold here, but whatever. My comment that I should call my mom and tell her about the snow met with giggles and eye rolls because people in New Jersey are used to strange weather (and lots of strange things, come to think of it). Then I thought I should call my granny and tell her what's happening so she could tell me (like she did when I was little) that it's a sign of the end times and Jesus is gonna come back soon. Conservative Baptist childhoods are full of wonder...

Speaking of drastic weather changes that signal the end of the world, I heard a speech on global warming Monday given by our former Vice-President, Al Gore. He did a great job on presenting somewhat complicated scientific data (and boy was there a lot of it) in a very understandable way and was personable and funny. He was only slightly political, which I appreciated, making a few comments on how the Clinton/Gore administration was better than the current Dumber/Dumb one [my phrase, not his]. What I learned: Everyone! BUY A HYBRID CAR FAST BEFORE GREENLAND OR ANTARCTICA MELTS AND RAISES THE SEA LEVEL BY 20 FEET. We'll drown if you don't do it (and I'm totally serious about that).

These days I'm just waiting to hear about my thesis and if I'll be able to graduate which I really wish someone would tell me already. I'm also trying to get several other papers conference-ready and doing my normal housesitting and babysitting gigs. John and Yvette (the primary family for whom I babysit) have offered to give me a graduation party, so that's exciting. Yvette and her mother are great cooks and decorators, so that plus their beautiful house should make for a very nice party. It could be the social event of the season.

Not much else happening except that I've become one of those people whose life is dictated by an intricate system of electronic devices. Currently, my new palm pilot is my fave, but there's always the ipod, cell phone and digital camera to occupy more time and computer memory. I tried making a grocery list on the PalmPilot, and while it was incredibily easy, I was too embarassed to keep the device out in the grocery store -- too pretentious even for Madison, NJ. I am afraid that my crazy notes might become a thing of the past with the electronic organizer, but I'll probably keep them around for aesthetic value. Because who am I if I can't have my "CD's to Buy" list or conference deadlines posted up on my desk? No one, I tell you, no one.

No comments: