Tuesday, April 18, 2006

And Now I Have a Life Again

Ok, here's the final word on my thesis (well, probably not the final, but at least for a little while): I'm graduating in October.

My first reader is really encouraging me to wait, so I should proabably listen to her since she's actually an expert on female Modernist poets. Even though she didn't read my thesis and reply to me that it needed work until it was too late to revise in time for May graduation, I'm ready to take her advice because I'm so resentful of this process and ready to quit the whole thing in general right now. I'm taking myself out of high-gear-paper-writing mode. My heart already thanks me for the caffeine abuse I'm discontinuing.

On the upside, my third reader and former huge crush Dr. Bernard McKenna, will be able to attend the defense in person instead of my conference call. Alas, his wife and new baby (very new, like a week new) will be accompanying him, but it'll be ok 'cause I think I'm kinda over him since he's went and moved away to Deleware last summer.

The thesis will be much better in the long run because of the extension and will be closer to publication-grade in the end. And I can talk/think about more interesting things than this paper. And watch my Netflix movies. Not that I haven't cried about this plenty and talked incoherently to good-hearted, patient people on the phone for hours, but ultimately, I'm ok with this (or maybe that's just an affirmation I'm trying to believe).

Now I can focus on the other things I'm doing this summer like
  • Moving!
  • Learning Spanish
  • Perhaps conducting new student orientation for the graduate school
  • Writing a cookbook
  • Finally making my Europe scrapbook, hey Kate:)
  • Applying for conferences and jobs
  • Getting papers ready for publication
  • Starting a Family Oral History Project
Please feel free to ask me about how all or any of these things are/is going. Thanks everybody, and next time, I promise to be more interesting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those other things sound so much better than editing a paper you've been working on so long. I vote for enjoying the summer!

Anonymous said...

I nominate myself to be your official guinea pig while you try out things for your cookbook.