Sunday, March 19, 2006

Petite But Pierceable

So after my fatefull encouter with Scarlett Johansson (well, kind of) and my decision to get something pierced now set in stone, Dale and I set out in the days after Mardi Gras to get pierced and tattooed. I had done some internet research before going to New Orleans and found this place called Rings of Desire on Decatur Street in the French Quarter that was exclusively a piercing shop. We had a drink before at The Abbey across the street from the place where people were about to gather for a memorial service honoring one of their beloved patrons. Dale and I got drinks and cut out of there 'cause being around strangers mourning their loved ones can be awkward and then there was the fact that it was in a bar which made me uncomfortable.

We had to walk around the French Quarter Market for a while t finish our drinks since Rings of Desire did not allow drinks upstairs (where the piercing was done) only to find that there was a convenient spot at the top of the stairs where you could leave your drinks. Ahhh, New Orleans really understands the importance of having a drink handy.

So I talked to a piercer, and because I was a little nervous, forgot what the part of my ear was called that I wanted to get pierced. I just pointed, said I wanted it done and this pretty and highly pierced woman named Elayne Angel said, "Your tragus?" "Yes," I replied, "but it may be too small."

I should tell you now that when I pointed this out to Dale, he called my ear deformed.

The wonderful Elayne said that it was, and I quote because I love this part, "petite but pierceable." Not only was something on me petite as been named by a professional, but I had a great phrase to use whenever I told the story. So I filled out all the appropriate paperwork and was lying on a table before I knew it. In doing my internet research, I read that the tragus is one of the more painful ear piercings, so I was a little afraid, but it was actually quite painless even though I think I might have passed out had I been sitting up. I got very red and flushed and was glad I had a shot of water waiting for me when I sat up. Elayne did a great job (did I mention she's pierced Lenny Kravitz's nose and knipple) and I thank her publically for it.

Dale scheduled a tattoo apointment the next day at an undisclosed tattoo shop (he can tell you about it), and we were on our way. I spent the next few days nursing my ear, asking Dale to look in it and saying, ow, ow, ow, ow, when I acidentally touched it. Now I can sleep on it and everything's good...and I really, really like it. When my parents come for graduation, they may even think it's cute. That's how cute it is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know someone who should've been working on her thesis at 8:41 this morning instead of writing about her tragus :oP

Anonymous said...

I have celebrity strokes instead of yelling at them.

Brooke said...

No Judgements! I was at work and wasting time on the internet.